I know most of you anticipated an update on my Vegas marathon which I will get around to doing this week. However, this post is devoted to the women in my life who have inspired me. In August of 2005 I decided to run a marathon and finish school. By December of 2006 I finished my first masters and 3 marathons. I have two girlfriends training for their first marathon slated for January of 2007. My mother will be running her first 1/2 marathon with Heather and I in January of 2007. In addition to all of the running going on I am planning a graduation party with four of my friends who have completed their masters degrees as well. Even at work I have friends who have reached the upper echelon of the corporate ladder that have inspired me and aided my own professional growth. Through all of the preparation, homework, training, etc. I have been inspired by all of these women. People have asked me what it takes to finish a marathon or complete a graduate degree. The truth honestly rests within the confines of your own mind. Sometimes we have to see others to believe we can reach lofty goals. I set my mind to accomplishing my goals and I never let any notions of "I can't" ever creep in. Over time the importance of finishing grew as my friends and family constantly supported me. Also, those who have watched my progression took on new challenges as well. It would be inconceivable to quit and then attempt to coach my friends through their challenges. Reflecting on 2006 I now have a perfect answer for those who ask me what it takes. It does not matter whether you are running a marathon, going to school or even taking that first step towards a smaller goal such as cleaning out your closet. The answer is this:
-Share your goal with everyone-They keep you accountable and more importantly they become your support system.
-Celebrate every milestone in the journey-When I trained for my 1st marathon I would call my mother after every long training run when my mileage increased.
-Revisit your purpose-When the going gets tough remind yourself why you are taking on the challenge-visualization is key!
-Enlist mentor and peer support-I had coach Dave on Team Diabetes and Heather my running buddy to guide me through every marathon. A mentor can help you to avoid pitfalls and a peer is there to empathize and work through the same challenges.
-Take it easy on yourself-No one ever reaches a goal without trying and even in your attempt you may have done more than other people will in their entire lives. Challenges may arise that will pull you off course but they are temporary in the grand scheme of things. Keep your focus! I watched the Hawaiian Ironman competition recently. 2 of the competitors were struck by cars and paralyzed while training. Each of them continued to train despite the drastic change in their lifestyle and physical abilities.
-Compete with yourself-Don't allow the accomplishments of others diminish what you have done or will do. I may never qualify for Boston but I have decreased my finishing times for both the 1/2 and full marathon.
-Toot your own horn-Modesty is for the birds. When you accomplish a goal share it with everyone! You never know who may be inspired by your success.
-Continue to set goals-Never let life pass you by. The more goals you reach the greater your confidence and satisfaction with life will be. So many people have asked the question "Why are we here?" By setting goals you have created a purpose for your life!
This answer may not be short but I think it covers what I have learned throughout my experiences in 2006. All of this I learned through the aid of my female friends who supported me, took on their own challenges and stood by me when the going got tough! Thank you ladies!! :-)
Nothing is more rewarding than inspiring others to reach goals they never thought possible.
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment