I had my third experience as a USAT Ambassador on Saturday as I worked packet pick up for the Chances for Children Triathlon .
This was a double whammy for a philanthropist such as myself. I was able to support USAT and Chances for Children at one event. This experience made me revisit an argument I once had with an ex of mine. He said that he felt more fulfilled by making a lot of money that could be donated rather than volunteering his time. I can tell you that I have never felt as fulfilled filling out a check to a non-profit in comparison to watching those kids participate in their first triathlon. The sense of joy that comes with donating your time and witnessing the direct impact it has on those you are aiding could never match up to any check writing. Yes, donating money is a sacrifice but ask any one of your friends or family members what is more important, the memories they share with you or gifts that you have given them. Time is what is most important because it is never guaranteed and it is the greatest gift you have to offer for those you share it with.
How cute are these little triathletes?!
A great reminder of this came in the form of Bonnie Jean Tomlin whom I met at the CFC Triathlon. She was volunteering at the event alongside me and Carol (a local teacher from Mesa and fellow triathlete). Bonnie lost her husband Richard Daniel Tomlin in 2005 when he was struck by a vehicle during a bike ride. This is unfortunately not an uncommon story for the triathlete community. In rememberance of the sport he loved the Dick Tomlin's Spirit of Triathlon event happens every year in Kingman, AZ where Tomlin was an active member of the community and avid triathlon proponent. Tomlin's life and death reflect the importance of sharing what you love with family and valuing the time you have to share it.
One more thing before I go. Because time is such a valuable commodity please respect those you share it with by being your word. If you say you are going to show up at 7pm but know you are going to be late, give them a call. Who knows, they might have more people they can share that time with while you are on the way ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment