Nothing is more rewarding than inspiring others to reach goals they never thought possible.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Camp AZDA


Cydne (American Diabetes Association Staffer aka Team Diabetes Head Cheerleader)

Once a year a lucky group of children and teens with diabetes get the opportunity to be amongst their own at Camp AZDA. The medical staff and camp counselors are all volunteers and the majority of them were once campers as well. In fact, one of my buddy's from the Team Diabetes Marathon training group was a camp goer turned volunteer who has been going to camp for 12 years!

From the minute I stepped off the bus it was very apparent that the atmosphere at camp was one of freedom. The kids are free to be themselves because they are not faced with the questions, judgement and stress that come with being a child who has diabetes. Camp AZDA resonates with love and peace from the people and children who look forward to those 2 fantastic weeks of freedom all year long. As a visitor I could not help from getting a bit emotional after talking to some of the kids about their experience at camp and how they all want to come back as counselors. The group had dinner and then we went to their Pirates party that night before boarding the bus again.

Visiting Camp AZDA reinforced for me why I am one of the committee members for Team Diabetes and how important it is to committ yourself to a worthy cause. I am immensely excited about this year's Team Diabetes training group which kicks off on my birthday 8/15/07. What better way to begin my last year in my 20's?!!

Coach Dave from Team D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You inspire me with your writing. Every event you write about
comes to life. I can feel the emotions as if I were a part of it
all. Keep writing because I want to keep reading.