Nothing is more rewarding than inspiring others to reach goals they never thought possible.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Surreal Life

This weekend started out with a bang as I headed to the Jackrabbit Lounge Thursday night with my friend Rod for a birthday bash. We enjoyed a couple of cocktails there and then headed over to Devil's to finish off the night. I ran into a girlfriend of mine from back in the day. It's crazy how some people seem to be in a broken state of maintaining old habits. Although it was great to see her all she wanted to chat about was the fact that I had run into her significant other at a bar the previous weekend. She interrogated me with the same line of questioning she use to use when we were in high school. "Well what did he say about me?"Blah, blah, blah! I still don't know why people remain in relationships where there is an obvious lack of trust but, to each their own!

Friday we held a big ole happy hour at the new Dos in Tempe which was ideal for most of us that live within 10 miles of the joint. Now here is where things really start to get out of hand. I invited my friend Rob (not Rod) to join us. Around 4pm him and I were chatting it up when I noticed two girls pointing at him from only 10ft. away. I start to wonder if they are friends of his but decide to carry on with the conversation and ignore them. About an hour after that Rob gets up to go to the men's room and one of the same girls and a guy from the table they are sitting at stops him on his way back. Rob heads back to the table with a smile that looks like he is trying not to laugh. I ask him what happened and he proceeds to tell me that the girl had her guy friend ask if he was gay. When he said no the girl proceeded to tell him to write his number on a napkin but he simply walked away. An hour after that our group is starting to disperse so Rob and I are making plans for later when wouldn't you know it that same girl starts sauntering over to our table. Well, I say sauntering but it was more like swaying because she was quite intoxicated by this point. She scoots into the booth we are at and almost falls on Rob while pushing a napkin in front of him and slurring the words "write down your number." Two of the guys from her table come running over and lift her out of the booth while Rob tries not to make eye contact or laugh. I didn't know how to react, that was seriously the craziest drunken maneuver I have ever witnessed from a girl. We had a good laugh about it for the rest of the night though.

Saturday Briana and I went dancing at one of her favorite spots. I ran into Chris whom I have not spoken with for about 6 months. He was a very good friend that fell out of contact right after xmas of 2006. Recently a friend told me that he started working at our company again so I emailed him. The response I received was indifferent. I really did not understand why he chose to disappear in the first place. That night he kept following me around until I would talk to him. Finally, I laid it all out for him. I said that friends don't just disappear and asked if I had done something to offend him. He said no apologized for not contacting me earlier. He would not admit what had happened but did promise to never disappear again. Then he broke the big news that he had married his girlfriend Michelle whom I really liked. The rest of the night we had a great time dancing and joking around. Those were the the things I liked and missed most about Chris, he is a great dancer and a lot of fun to be around.

So there you have it...a blast from the past that has not changed at all, a drunken girl who knows no boundaries and a friend that reappears just when you think you've lost them...very surreal but in a good way :-)

No comments: