Nothing is more rewarding than inspiring others to reach goals they never thought possible.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Becoming A Better Loser

Friday night I headed out with my girlfriends to celebrate Jenni's (aka Jknis, Jquan, Jquizzle) birthday at a fabulous little wine bar in Phoenix. (check out the reviews for yourself http://www.azcentral.com/ent/music/articles/0729barfly0729.html) I had a great time scarfing down scrumptious bruschettas and laughing about horrible dating stories. Believe me when I tell you that sitcoms and reality t.v. cannot compare to the stories some of us single ladies have experienced. Have any of you ever had a date arrive late only to tell you that someone stole their bike out front of a store on the way to the bar? (When I say bike I don't mean motorcycle either) Not only did this unsuspecting friend continue the date she drove him home! We should all be so lucky to have experienced a cretin of this caliber ha, ha, ha! On the other hand, we have the friend who is married to her junior high school sweetheart. She weighed in with the most heartwarming story of the evening. Apparently, her boyfriend took her to a coffee shop to break up and before he could quite articulate what he had intended to divulge she cutt him off and dumped him flat. The reverse psychology slapped this poor young man into submission. It took him a couple of months to win her back but he definitely realized what he was about to lose. They are happily married now with baby #2 on the way.

Saturday night I had the opportunity to attend my second professional sports outing of the week (I went to the Suns vs. Clippers game on Wednesday). I headed out to see the Coyotes lose one more game to the Dallas Stars before the end of their short season :-( Better luck next year for our poor hockey team plagued with more gambling drama than the World Series of Poker.

Whether it is stories about dating losers or watching my favorite sports teams get defeated I will have to say that life and art definitely imitate one another. It really doesn't matter if you are in the middle of a bad date or in the second period of a losing game you can't help but feel a bit defeated. The good news is that time always has a way of helping you see the humor or at least easing the pain. Losing your heart, losing your way, or sometimes even feeling as if you have lost your mind they are all part of life's greatest lessons. I am so gratefully that I get to share them with you! How could I really know what fun winning truly is if I never experienced losing?

No comments: