
I can't believe I made it through!! For those of you who missed the story I'll share it now...
Back in August about 3 or 4 days before the big 2-7 b-day I started to have a bit of a breakdown. I was reflecting on the fact that my twenties were quickly sliding away and it was not such a joyous thought. I realized that all of those crazy nights on the town with my friends did not really amount to more than some wonderful memories. Don't take that last sentence the wrong way. My friends and family mean the world to me but partying doesn't exactly fulfill one of my lifetime goals (well, maybe the time I met Vince Vaughn!). I was nearing my thirties without a great sense of accomplishment. Yes, I finished my bachelors and I have a good job but to me those were always a given. I found myself perusing the P.F. Chang's Rock'n'Roll marathon site and came upon the charities which train for the event. My family and I lost a very close friend (Sandra "Ma" Terry) a couple of years ago when she experienced complications as a diabetic which led to her passing. I immediately contacted Team D via the American Diabetes Association site (www.diabetes.org/teamdphoenix). Ironically, Team D training was scheduled to begin in late August so I was able to sign up in advance. When I initially signed up I had my sights set on the 1/2 marathon but with about 2 months into the training I quickly raised the bar. I met three fantastic pace mates (Ken, Melanie & Heather). A girl could not ask for more! These three new friends and I logged countless hours and miles making each other laugh as we prepared for the big day. I cannot stress how much having my pace mates really made the experience extremely memorable and fun. We sang the theme to Rocky at the end of each training run, whined and complained about our aches and pains along the way, and in the end our newly formed bond carried us through those final miles of the marathon. I could not have finished without them! On top of it all, the love and support from my family and friends was tremendous. I reached my fund raising goal for Team D and finished a marathon with three new friends in tow! What a lucky gal I am...and to think I was fearing 30!

2 comments:
April, you have your own blog. Now that is cool. Really. Sounds like the marathon was a big success. If somebody had told you a year or two ago that you would run 26 miles you wouldn't have believed them. And now you are doing another one. Wow, good for you. I am still road running some, but mostly trail running now. It's beautiful, clean, peaceful, and a great workout. By the way, I understand the Sedaris thing (I just finished me talk pretty one day), but the Depp thing...I guess you have to be a woman to get that. Cheers. Warren
You made your family proud that
day ~ just like most days :)
Post a Comment