Heroes. We all have them but for most people the title of hero is typically given to those who achieve great feats which have lifted them to celebrity status. I admire all of my friends and family alike. They all have weaknesses and strengths and in their own way exhibit extraordinary ways of being that I aspire to accomplish one day. However, there has always been one family member whom I have looked up to since the day I was born. In all honesty I think the oldest child naturally is bestowed the title of hero to their younger siblings. In my 29 years of existence my older brother Kevin has been that for me. That is not to say that there has never been a time where he upset me more than words could say, that is an inevitability of being human. Kevin is not a saint by any means, nor am I for that matter. Despite our human nature which is inherently flawed, Kevin remains my first and greatest inspiration. I know some might dispute that parents hold that title and undoubtedely they are heroes as well in their respective ways. But there is this inexplicable sense of pure, unadulterated awe that comes from the perseverance and passion Kevin models in his volunteer work and personal life. Every year since I was old enough to write and realize how much poetry helps me express emotions that I am to afraid to speak, I have written about or to my brother. Today the story has not changed. The only difference is that those who were able to catch the broadcast on local AZ t.v. were able to experience what I have known since childhood. For those who may not be aware, Kevin has been a volunteer at Phoenix Youth At Risk for 11 years. His incredible sense of humor and commitment to the youth of Phoenix continues to change the lives of many youths and himself for that matter. I am immensely grateful and honored to call Kevin my brother because he is unlike many of his peers in their early 30's. He has a gift and he gives it away as a volunteer every day 365 days of the year and expects nothing in return. For those of you who may have missed it here is the clip of the man who I most lovingly and graciously call my brother.
Nothing is more rewarding than inspiring others to reach goals they never thought possible.
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow these are the true heroes that kids should look up to as role models...not athletes or singers.
Also Teachers are high on the list of noble careers and yet we pay them very little. They aren't doing it for the money.
Ok I'm done rambling...
Post a Comment